Notice: Seeking anyone who would do movie news article postings &/or writing movie reviews &/or actors' features for this blog! If interested, please email me at jlsiewaun@yahoo.com or msg me with yahoo messenger.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Movie Spotlight: There Will Be Blood


Superb acting, powerful drama, the next movie up for the spotlight is the 2007 film,
There Will Be Blood, starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
Inside we'll go over what makes them film great and why you should buy it.









Directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson
Produced by: Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Lupi, Joanne Sellar, Scott Rudin
Written by:
Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson
Novel: Upton Sinclair
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis
Music by: Jonny Greenwood
Cinematography: Robert Elswit
Editing by: Dylan Tichenor
Distributed by:
United States:
Paramount Vantage
International:
Miramax Films
Release date(s) December 26, 2007
Running time: 158 minutes
Country: United States
Language: English
Budget:$25 million
Gross revenue: $75.7 million


Story: [10 points]
When I first starting hearing about this film, like many others I'm sure I heard the now famous quote "I've abandon my child! I've abandon my child! I've abandon my boy...". And I always wondered what exactly this film was about. Right from very beginning you get the notion that the title character Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis), is all about money, and nothing else. When he takes an abandon child in, he does it not for love, but to further his image as a family man. The story is powerful and gripping, enough to keep you glued to the screen the entire time.

Acting: [10 points]
Anyone familiar with Daniel Day-Lewis, knows that he is one of the most serious method actors alive, and because of how deep he goes into character, often takes years to take on new projects. Daniel Day-Lewis delivers another stunning performance. I've talked about what makes a good actor, and that's the ability to make the view see the character and not them. Daniel Day-Lewis pulls this off superbly. The other actors in the film also delivered real and fantastic performances.

Dramatic effect: [10 points]
This movie is not for the faint at heart when it comes to drama. From the moment the movie begins you should be able to feel the emotion that the movie gives. For this film, it delivers a high level of "tense drama", due to the nature of Daniel Day-Lewis' character. It's definitely not a story built for younger audiences, and I think it takes a mature mind to appreciate the scope of the drama.

Score/Soundtrack: [10 points]
The score was wonderfully composed. Remember what I just said about "tense drama"? The music is what brings that emotional aspect out. The score sounds like it's predominantly played on violins and it give the movie it's at times, dark nature.

Overall Movie Enjoyment: [10 points]
I would highly recommend this movie. The characters were well through out and perfectly acted. The entire time I watch the movie I can rarely ever stop for anything else. And it's one movie that I never get tired of watching.


Rent worthy?: Yes
Buy Worthy?: Yes

Total score: 50 out of 50

No comments:

Post a Comment